Saturday, March 10, 2012

The very beginning "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." Henri Cartier-Bresson

This is my first post, a note to myself on why I'm doing this after procrastinating for many years. I recently read this quote, and i thought to myself, I should have crossed that 10,000 limit by now. Afterall, I did start my tryst with photography when i was 10 years old. Contradictory to popular assumption, i did not start with a camera.

My father had his own photography studio back in the 80s. He used to handle photographic film, paper, chemicals and i would help him with it. Back then i never understood why red light was ok to handle photographic paper but nothing else. While i spent many hours observing my father and then helping him with basic tasks, my interests towards the shutter was ever increasing.

The first camera i handled was a Kodak film camera when i was 11. My dad let me take it to school and take some pictures of a school event. I was very excited while i waited for the prints to be processed and when they did turn up - Boy, was i disappointed!

Thus started my experiment with photography. The sole purpose of this effort is to document my travels along with photographs. I want to thank my wife for nudging me to do this.

Classic cameras at a flea market

No comments:

Post a Comment